AIA Buffalo/WNY • 3500 Main Street, Ste 130-113 Buffalo, New York 14226 • Phone 716.774.3340
How to become an architect
Architectural colleges and universities in the United States that have a school for architecture, engineering and/or landscaping.
Online Architecture Education
According to the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB), there are no complete online courses to produce a degree in Architecture, but there are some accredited partial programs. Before entering into any program or coursework, a student hoping to attain an approved architecture degree should make sure the courses are accredited and will count toward an acceptable degree. The Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture (ACSA) and the American Institute of Architects (AIA) are other organizations that can be consulted for more information. Students should also check for any specific licensing procedure in the state(s) where they intend to practice, as each state has laws governing professional registration.
Some architectural courses offered online include:
The AIA itself offers online continuing education classes for architectural professionals
Many architecture classes are studio design classes, where students may build scaled models of buildings or practice a variety of other hands-on application. Such skills are indispensable and complement the more technical applications, such as computer programs (AutoCAD, SketchUp) and architectural presentation drawings.
While aspiring architects don't currently have a fully-developed online option, it is not difficult to imagine one or more becoming available in the next few years through advances in technology. Students should make sure to understand whether any online courses they take will contribute to a degree down the road, and be wary of approval and certification claims in advertisements. Those who are curious, but still uncertain, about an architecture career may find online courses in the field influential.
National Accrediting Board:
Architectural Scholarship Links
• AIA/AAF Minority/Disadvantaged Scholarship http://www.archvoices.org/pg.cfm?CFID=3439347&CFTOKEN=81451905
• AIA/AAF Scholarship for First Professional Degree Candidates http://www.archvoices.org/pg.cfm?CFID=3439347&CFTOKEN=81451905
• American Planning Association Scholarships
• Association for Women in Architecture Scholarships http://www.awa-la.org/Scholarships.htm
• Connecticut Architecture Foundation, Inc. Scholarships
• Florida Association of the American Institute of Architects Scholarships http://www.aiafla.org/index.cfm?pageID=112
• HEEF Architecture and Engineering Scholarship http://www.ochba.org/html/scholorships.html
• Landscape Architecture Foundation Scholarship and Professional Awards Program http://www.asla.org/nonmembers/00lafsch.htm
• New York Foundation For Architecture Grants and Scholarships http://www.aiany.org/nyfoundation/allwork2004.pdf
• RTKL Traveling Fellowship http://www.archfoundation.org/scholarships/application.rtkl.2003.pdf
• SOM Foundation Fellowships and Awards http://www.somfoundation.som.com/fellowships_awards.htm
• The American Architectural Foundation Scholarships http://www.archfoundation.org/aaf/aaf/Programs.Scholarships.htm